Maserati to race in the Fanatec GT2 European Series Championship in 2023.
Another big step in the Maserati motorsport strategy: the MC20 – designed ever since its early stages of development to bring the Trident back on track in closed-wheel competitions – will feature in the Fanatec GT2 European Series Championship, making its debut in 2023.
Maserati will be offering its customers and teams the MC20 GT2.
MC20 GT2 is based on the road version, from which it inherits its best-in-class specifications. These include the innovative Nettuno engine with new Maserati Twin Combustion (MTC) technology, double-wishbone suspension with semi-virtual steering axis and carbon fibre monocoque.
Maserati’s return to the track in GT competitions represents the ideal link between the brand’s new era and the victories achieved by the frequently victorious MC12 in the FIA GT Championships from 2004 to 2010.
Specifically, to highlight the link between the MC12 and MC20, at the 24 Hours of Spa – won three times by the MC12 (in 2005, 2006 and 2008) – Maserati is ushering in the new Maserati Corse era with an experience dedicated to the glorious milestones in its sporting history.
In the words of Davide Grasso, Maserati CEO: “We are driven by our passion, both on the road and on the track. We have a long history of world excellence in motorsport and we are extremely proud to race with the extraordinary MC20. Racing has always been Maserati’s natural habitat and now, both in the Fanatec GT2 European Series Championship and in the Formula E Championship, this brand is making a new start from its roots to build the future”.
Jean-Marc Finot, Senior VP, STELLANTIS Motorsport, stated: “Maserati Corse is bringing the link between Formula E factory program and our road cars with the MC20 GT2. This new step is completing the legacy and the legitimacy of Maserati in Motorsport. The MC20 is a fantastic road legal car. We are happy that our passionate customer will enjoy racing with it”.
Maserati GT2 – Features and technical specifications
- Single-seater non-road-homologated race car
- Maserati Centro Stile design
- Width/Height (mm) 2020* x 1220*
- Dry weight to be determined in BoP
Complies with FIA race safety requirements
- FIA-homologated FT3 120 L fuel tank
- FIA-spec fire extinguisher
- Maserati Nettuno
- V6 90° twin turbo
- 3000 cc
- Power output to be determined in BoP (630-hp base engine under development)
- Maserati Twin Combustion (MTC) Twin Spark with TJI double combustion control
- Dry sump
- 2WD 6-speed sequential racing gearbox with paddle shifters
- Racing clutch and limited-slip self-locking mechanical differential
- MC20 GT2 racing kit bodywork
- High-performance aerodynamics
- Multi-adjustable rear wing
- High downforce
- LED headlamps
- FIA-approved rain light
- Lexan front and side windows
- Ultra-light carbon fibre central monocoque
- FIA-homologated safety roll cage
- 3/4 on-board air jacks
- Racing callipers and ventilated racing brakes
- Bespoke brake cooling
- Bespoke forged 18” aluminium rims
- Centre lock system fittings
- Slick tires
- Double-wishbone with semi-virtual steering axis
- Adjustable racing dampers
- Adjustable front and rear anti-roll bars
- Adjustable racing pedal box
- Adjustable steering column
- 6-point racing safety belt
- Multi-functional carbon-fibre steering wheel
- Rear-view camera display (optional)
- In-car camera for video recording (optional)
- Dash and data acquisition system
- Driving performance optimisation display (optional)
- Air conditioning
- Tyre pressure monitoring system (optional)
- Adjustable racing ABS and traction control
* Subject to changes during vehicle development.
Maserati produces a complete range of unique cars, immediately recognisable for their extraordinary personality. Thanks to their style, technology and innately exclusive character, they delight the most discerning, demanding tastes and have always been a benchmark for the global automotive industry. A tradition of successful cars, each of them redefining what makes an Italian sports car in terms of design, performance, comfort, elegance and safety, currently available in more than seventy markets internationally. The ambassadors of this heritage are the Quattroporte flagship, the Ghibli sports sedan, the Levante – the first SUV made by Maserati, and the Grecale, the all-new “everyday exceptional” SUV, all models characterised by the use of the highest quality materials and excellent technical solutions. Ghibli, Grecale and Levante are also available in hybrid versions. A complete range, equipped with 4-cylinder hybrid powertrains, V6 petrol and V8 petrol, with rear-wheel and four-wheel drive, embodying the performance DNA of the Trident Brand. The top of the range is made up of the MC20 super sports car and the MC20 Cielo spyder, powered by the ground-breaking Nettuno V6 engine, incorporating F1-derived technologies available in the power unit of a standard production car for the first time.