New Dacia Duster Revealed.
MORE DUSTER, STILL DUSTER – New Dacia Duster Revealed.
- Dacia presents the 3rd Duster generation, the next chapter in its iconic best-seller’s saga
- All-New Duster’s design is tougher and more assertive
- All-New Duster’s CMF-B platform enhances the in-car experience
- All-New Duster’s 4×4 version takes off-road capabilities to new heights
- All-New Duster comes with more sustainable materials and hybrid powertrains
- All-New Duster is packed with new technologies to further increase safety and comfort
- All new except for what matters most: Duster is still the family SUV providing the best value for money of its category.
“More Duster Still Duster”: All-New Duster is the next chapter in the story of a model that has grown into a standard-setter on its market and an all-round Dacia icon encapsulating everything the brand stands for: Robust and Outdoor, Essential but Cool, and Eco-Smart. Duster was born in 2010, overhauled for the first time in 2017, and rose to the top by rewriting the SUV rulebook.
And Duster is a success story: in its 13-year-long career, it has netted more than 40 awards, production is at 2.2 million units and counting, and its steadily increasing popularity ranked it as Europe’s best-selling SUV across all segments in the retail market in 2022. About 1,000 Duster SUVs roll off production lines at Dacia’s plant in Pitesti, Romania, every day – about one every minute!
STRONGER AND MORE ASSERTIVE DESIGN
Dacia has reinvented Duster’s design. It still has the striking looks that propelled the previous generations to the top – especially its solid, sturdy SUV character – but pushes them higher, further and harder with Dacia’s new, distinctive design. All-New Duster is proud to parade its overhauled design.
David Durand, Dacia Design Director: “Before even starting work on All-New Duster’s style, we honed its proportions, to find a strong, balanced posture. When you get the proportions right early on, you don’t need artifices to tweak style later.”
“All the essentials, no artifices”: this Dacia philosophy applies to All-New Duster’s design as much as every other model.
The designers started with simple volumes – the cabin, bonnet, wings, etc. Then they assembled them into a clear-cut whole, to give the model a modern, well-built style, with deliberately taut, self-confident lines.
The simple shapes and volumes add to the design’s power – including the sharp, vertical face, chamfered wheel-arch guards, large tailgate and side windows reaching seamlessly from bow to stern.
All-New Duster is shielded with a stylish belt wrapping all the way around it: the side underbody shields connect to the hallmarks then to the wheel arches, which in turn connect to the front and rear bumpers, making All-New Duster more robust and outdoor than ever!
All-New Duster’s design is consistent, moves with the times and combines its outdoor and robust character with a more sustainable edge.
- The front and rear skid plates are dyed in the mass. Not using paint is good for the environment – and for customers: scrapes and scratches won’t alter the original colour.
- The side underbody shields, wheel-arch guards, hallmarks, triangles on the front bumper and rear shield tail are made of a sturdy material designed by Dacia’s engineers and LyondellBasell’s chemists, Starkle®. This material, which was unveiled on the Manifesto concept car, is up to 20% recycled. Its composition includes white particles that give it a mottled look, which Dacia decided to flaunt instead of painting over it (details below).
David Durand continues, “We wanted the exterior and interior design to be really consistent. The taut and tough style inside make you feel properly protected.”
This feeling also comes from the high, vertical and large new dashboard and broad band. The shape of the air vents, which resemble the wheel arches, adds to the consistent feel.
Like the outside, the inside comes with all the essentials – meaning the features that serve a purpose. A lot of work went into the ergonomics, including the 10.1-inch central screen positioned in the driver’s field of view and at a 10° angle towards them. The new automatic transmission shifter, coupled with the HYBRID 140 engine, is particularly easy to use. The steering wheel’s flattened surfaces at the top and bottom make it exceedingly comfortable to handle.
“Duster wouldn’t be Duster without a clever and practical interior that makes daily life easier for users. Everything is designed to make you feel at home, front and back.” David Durand.
Lastly, the new Y-shaped signature underscores the link between All-New Duster’s interior and exterior:
- Inside, the surface of the air vents is Y-shaped (and Copper in the Extreme trim), and the Y also appears around the door-panel armrests. The brand name in the middle of the steering wheel has been replaced with the Dacia logo.
- Outside, All-New Duster’s head and rear lamps are arranged in a Y, and the same shape is visible on the alloy rims – which are also chrome-free (the way the materials are polished is what gives them their shine).
David Durand wraps up, “We wanted to make All-New Duster’s design more attractive than ever, by making the style even more quintessentially Duster and Dacia, by vigorously and proudly reasserting our values: Robust and Outdoor, Essential but Cool, and Eco-Smart.”
THE CMF-B PLATFORM BOOSTS ALL-NEW DUSTER’S PERFORMANCE
All-New Duster is built on the CMF-B platform, which is playing a central role in Dacia’s industrial strategy. This competitive and extremely flexible platform was first used on the latest Sandero and Logan models, then on Jogger. It provides all the versatility Dacia needs to optimally deploy its ambitious product plan.
On the CMF-B platform, All-New Duster has more space for passengers and luggage than the previous generation and is only fractionally longer overall. The platform’s advanced engineering also reduces vibration and noise from the road, enhancing driver comfort. And it provides a quantum leap in driving pleasure.
The CMF-B platform has also embarked All-New Duster on its journey to electrification as it can accommodate powertrains using mild-hybrid and full-hybrid technologies.
Patrice Lévy Bencheton, Dacia VP Product Performance, explains, “The new CMF-B platform is a key asset to develop the Dacia line-up – today and tomorrow. We can see all its potential on All-New Duster: it houses high-efficiency electrified powertrains, significantly enhances performance across the board and keeps the appeal and accessibility that have made it a hit.”
ROBUST AND OUTDOOR: ALL-NEW DUSTER IS BOLDER THAN EVER.
All-New Duster’s off-road capabilities are unparalleled in the non-expert 4×4 market (“non-expert” meaning 4×4 vehicles without close-ratio transmissions), so fans of the outdoors can enjoy it without a worry in the world.
ENHANCED ALL-TERRAIN CAPABILITIES WITH THE 4X4 VERSION
All-New Duster is available with 4×4 Terrain Control transmission, which includes 5 driving modes:
- AUTO: transmission automatically distributes power between the front and rear axle according to wheel grip and speed.
- SNOW: optimises trajectory on slippery roads with specific ESC and anti-skid settings.
- MUD/SAND: for unsteady terrains.
- OFF-ROAD: top performance on tough terrain, very similar to the current Duster’s 4×4 Lock mode but with the added advantage of automatically and optimally distributing torque to the front and rear wheels according to grip and speed.
- ECO: optimises fuel consumption by regulating air conditioning and the vehicle’s performance. It optimises distribution of torque to the front and rear axles to the maximum possible extent to limit fuel consumption while adapting to the road’s grip.
Ground clearance: 217 mm (measurement between axles) in the 4×4 version, the highest on the market.
Approach and departure angles to overcome even more obstacles on 4X4 versions: up to 31° at the front and 36° at the rear, and 24° for the ventral angle.
Downhill speed control, which is especially useful on jagged terrain and steep slopes. The system principally actuates the brakes to keep the vehicle’s speed under control (based on the driver’s input) at between 0 and 30 km/h. It kicks in regardless of the gearshift selection (including reverse) so the driver can ignore the accelerator and brake pedal and focus on the steering wheel.
During off-road driving, a variety of especially useful information can be displayed on the 10.1-inch central screen:
- Lateral tilt
- Uphill and downhill pitch
- Torque distribution to the front and rear axles (4×4 version)
EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY SHIELDING AND MATERIALS
- Exterior: the entire area around the body is now protected from light bumps and scratches. The flank shields connect to the wheel-arch guards and front and rear bumpers, forming a protective belt. The large skid plates under the bumpers protect the underbody.
- Interior: the cabin is heavy-duty – especially in the Extreme trim, which comes as standard with washable TEP MicroCloud upholstery, and rubber mats in the front, rear and boot. The mats are 20% recycled.
The front and rear skid plates are dyed in the mass. In other words, the plastic is already coloured when it is injected to make the part. The colour, therefore, is unalterable (unlike paint). The inevitable scrapes and scratches may leave marks, but they will be practically invisible, as they will not alter the plate’s colour.
The shields around the car are made of Starkle®, a new material created by Dacia’s engineers (see below). It is not painted, so scrapes and scratches will not leave conspicuous marks.
Built to fit InNature accessories
- Sleep Pack: like Jogger, the first Dacia vehicle to include it, All-New Duster will be able to accommodate this pack. It is a simple, removable and affordable 3-in-1 box containing a double bed that can be deployed by a single person in less than two minutes (1.90 metres long and up to 1.30 metres wide), a tray table and storage space.
- The new roof rack, which is extremely handy for outdoor activities. It simply attaches to the modular roof bars in the transverse position, or to aftermarket transverse roof bars (maximum dynamic weight on vehicle roof = 80kg).
ECO-SMART: MORE SUSTAINABLE AND AS AFFORDABLE AS EVER
True to Dacia’s values, All-New Duster provides an affordable alternative for more sustainable driving, combining new hybrid powertrains and more recycled materials.
NEW HYBRID POWERTRAINS
- Duster HYBRID 140. This powertrain, which Dacia adopted for Jogger in early 2023, is now available with All-New Duster. It is built with technologies that Renault Group has tried and tested, and comprises a 4-cylinder, 1.6-litre, 94 hp petrol engine, two electric motors (a 49-hp powerplant and a high-voltage starter generator), and an electric automatic gearbox (with 4 engine ratios and 2 motor ratios). This combined technology is possible because the system is clutchless.
The regenerative braking, the 1.2 kWh (230 V) battery’s high energy recovery capacity and the gearbox’s efficiency make it possible to drive in all-electric mode up to 80% of the time in cities, which reduces consumption by 20% (mixed cycle) to 40% (urban cycle). Moreover, the engine always starts on electric power.
- Duster TCe 130. This is the first time Dacia is using this powertrain, which provides an initial degree of electrification. It combines a new-generation 3-cylinder, 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine using the Miller cycle (reduced pump losses optimise efficiency) and a 48 V mild hybrid motor. This motor aids the internal combustion engine when the car starts or accelerates, reducing average consumption and CO2 emissions by about 10%*. It also provides more power during acceleration than the existing TCe 130 model, making the vehicle more responsive and smoother to drive. The regenerative braking system charges the 8 kWh battery without making a noticeable difference for the driver.
The TCe 130 powertrain is available with a 6-speed gearbox in the 4×2 and 4×4 versions.
- And Duster ECO-G 100. Dacia, the unchallenged LPG leader in Europe, is the only carmaker to provide a dual fuel (petrol and LPG) option on all its internal-combustion models, under the ECO-G label. All-New Duster comes with this built-in tried and tested technology that guarantees safety and reliability.
When running on LPG, All-New Duster ECO-G 100 on average releases 10% less CO2 than a comparable petrol engine. It can drive up to 1,300 km** with its two tanks holding 100 litres between them – 50 litres of petrol and 50 litres of LPG (the latter is under the boot floor, so it does not affect cargo capacity). A button built seamlessly into the dashboard switches the engine from one fuel to the other quickly and imperceptibly.
* compared to an internal combustion engine with equivalent power
** awaiting WLTP cycle certification
MORE SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS
Dacia invents Starkle®. All-New Duster is the first production model to use Starkle®, a new material invented by Dacia’s engineers. It contains up to 20% reused polypropylene and entirely paint-free, meaning the carbon footprint from its production process is smaller. The side underbody shields, wheel-arch guards, hallmarks, triangles on the front bumper, and rear shield tail are made of Starkle®.And making the front and rear skid plates with a dyed-in-the-mass material also limits the amount of paint used in the process.
- Almost 20%* recycled plastic. Overall, roughly 20% of the plastic in All-New Duster is recycled, which is considerably more than the usual ratio in the segment and an 8-point gain on the previous generation.
- No decorative chrome, no leather of animal origin. Dacia has decided to stop using leather and decorative chrome in all its models, in both cases for environmental reasons.
- The user manual is smaller, to use less paper. The full version is available online from the My Dacia app.
* In the polymer category as proposed in the future regulation on end-of-life vehicles (ELV)
VALUE FOR MONEY STILL UNRIVALLED ON THE MARKET
- All-New Duster will continue to fulfil Dacia’s value-for-money pledge. It will combine the most affordable prices in its segment with a larger passenger compartment than ever before into the best bargain on the market.
- It will feature more technology, including a new 7-inch digital cluster, new 10.1-inch central touchscreen and new infotainment system.
- And All-New Duster will be smarter than ever: it will for instance come with modular roof bars and the clever Dacia YouClipaccessory system (see below).
ESSENTIAL BUT COOL: MORE TECHNOLOGY AND MORE SMARTS
All-New Duster illustrates Dacia’s philosophy for technological progress: it has to be sound, smart, affordable and make life easier for users, i.e. enhance safety and comfort.
A MORE DIGITAL AND MORE CONNECTED COCKPIT
A new infotainment system with a 10.1-inch central touchscreen. Standard in the Expression and higher trims, the screen is available with both multimedia systems of Duster, named Media Display and Media Nav Live:
- Media Display, which will come as standard in Expression and Extreme models, includes four speakers and wireless Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ connectivity.
- Media Nav Live, which will come as standard in Journey models and be available as an option with the Extreme & Expression trims, includes all of the above plus a connected navigation system providing real-time traffic updates and up-to-date cartography for 8 years. Media Nav Live will come as standard with a six-speaker Arkamys 3D Sound System.
Media Control, in the Essential trim, is an infotainment system you can control from the steering wheel switches. It displays phone calls and media-related information on a 3.5-inch screen inside the analog cluster. It has four speakers, a Bluetooth connection, a USB port and a smartphone holder integrated into the dashboard. When you connect it to the Dacia Media Control free app, you can control the radio, other media and several other features from your smartphone screen.
Native connectivity in compliance with the new European GSR2 regulations, and, for vehicles equipped with Media Display & Media Nav Live, even more connected services, including FOTA (Firmware Over The Air), which enables updates remotely, so you don’t need to stop by the network to have the latest software version.
Digital cluster: All-New Duster is the first to feature the new 7-inch customisable colour digital cluster, where the driver can display the information they find most useful. This digital cluster comes as standard with the Expression and higher trims.
All trim levels feature a dedicated phone slot.
Versions equipped with Media Display and Media Nav Live feature a YouClip smartphone holder, 2 USB C sockets at the front and 2 at the rear to power up to 4 devices. All 4 sockets are backlit.
NEW DRIVING ASSISTANCE SYSTEMS
Cruise control/Speed limiter is now included as standard starting with the Essential trim. Automatic low-beam headlights are available in all trims. Moreover, automatic switching between low-beam and high-beam headlights comes as standard in All-New Duster Extreme and Journey models.
New driving assistance systems, added to All-New Duster to meet the latest European safety requirements, such as automatic emergency braking (in urban and suburban areas, including detection of other cars, pedestrians, bicycles and motorbikes), traffic sign recognition and speeding alert, rear parking assist, emergency stop signal, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, driver attention alert, and emergency calls (eCall). And, to make its customers’ life easier, Dacia is adding a clever button, named “My Safety”, to quickly access to their favourite driving assistance configuration.
A more spacious cabin. All-New Duster provides the best value for money in its segment. Switching to the CMF-B platform has opened up more space inside – especially width at the front and legroom at the back (+30 mm).
Its boot floor is lower, and its boot opening is wider and higher. The boot itself is also wider and higher, providing up to 6% extra space 472 litres VDA (under the parcel tray in the 4×2 All-New Duster).
All-New equipment. As comfort starts with a completely stress-free driver, All-New Duster comes with a variety of amenities to make their life easier. An electric parking brake is included in the Journey trim (as standard) and Extreme trim (as an option), and the Extreme and Journey trims by default come with side mirrors with electric adjusting and folding mechanism. As it is readier than ever to tackle the harshest conditions, All-New Duster can also come with a heating steering wheel and a de-icing system in the windscreen (in some countries).
YouClip, the new and clever accessories with a Dacia touch. Dacia’s engineers invented YouClip, a simple and practical system to hold un several specific accessories in well-chosen areas in the cabin – and hold them tight. All-New Duster comes with four (in the Essential trim) or six YouClip attachment points, factory fitted (one on the dashboard, one by the console on the passenger side, one behind the centre console, two on either side of the boot and one in the boot door).
They can hold a tablet holder, a storage pouch, a smartphone holder with or without an induction charger, or a smart “3 in 1” accessory, which includes a cupholder, a bag hook and a nomadic lamp. This ingenious 3-in-1 system is factory-fitted into Duster Extreme, and all YouClip-compatible accessories are available from the Dacia network.
A SIMPLE RANGE WITH EVERYTHING YOU WANT
About 70% of Duster customers opt for the higher-end trims nowadays. Accordingly, the All-New Duster line-up now has three tiers: Essential, Expression, and a new choice between two distinct yet complementary superior trims: Duster Extreme for fans of the outdoors and intense driving, and Duster Journey, for those who prefer low-key elegance, comfort and technology. Both the latter will be available at similar prices.
The main standard equipment
· Duster Essential: Media Control, fixed roof bars, 6 airbags, rear parking radar, and more.
· Duster Expression: same as Essential + 17-inch alloy wheels, 7-inch digital cluster, 10.1-inch central touchscreen with Media Display infotainment system and Apple CarPlay™/Android Auto™ wireless replication, reversing camera, and more.
· Duster Extreme: same as Expression + modular roof bars, washable TEP MicroCloud upholstery, rubber floor and boot mats, automatic air conditioning, YouClip 3-in-1 system, Coppery Brown decorative touches inside and out, and more.
· Duster Journey: same as Expression + 18-inch alloy wheels, fog lights, automatic air conditioning, hands-free keycard, electric parking brake, wireless smartphone charger, Media Nav Live infotainment system with connected navigation, 6-speaker Arkamys 3D Sound System, and more.